InRefinement, what it means to me, March 4, 2020

The word InRefinement did not exist (in my lexicon) when I resigned and left my occupation at Arthurs Jones Lithographing Ltd. in 1998. It found its place in my mind many years later when all of which I attended had funnelled into a bucket that I wished to name for one reason. It found its place in my vocabulary because I began to write about my experiences. I suppose when one looks at one's life, and at a time that has taken a dramatic change in course it's nice to have a name for it; indeed, a name that could be construed as a corporation called InRefinement Inc. is even better.  That's it. It was my new workplace. My new job and career paid handsomely, while it never increased my net worth, it paid off in other ways. I want this piece of writing to focus on the attributes, well being, skills and peaceful demeanour this period of time has offered to me.

On The Beach in Dubai


Terryl and Ihor (pronounced Igor) on board Azamara

I place photographs in ordinary places to give my readers a pictorial proof of my travels. One of the great benefits of travel are the people one meets. Igor is a young man, married with children who is a professional waiter on board Azamara Quest. I've never met a nicer gentleman anywhere. Igor loves his job and makes you feel like a million while he's serving you food and drink of the highest order.

Terryl has invited four people for a luncheon at our place on March 7, 2020. The table is set with little meats, devilled eggs and caviar, cheeses, fruits, crab cakes, crackers and our favourite wines for our honoured guests some of which will be visiting for the first time. Of course the apartment is crystal clean and so are we. Her little touches may seem to be a trifle overboard at times but I'm chalking it all up to Refinement, and I know our friends will appreciate the fine point that she places on entertaining friends. My job is to get used to it.

I've placed a post on this blog regarding the Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic dated March 12, 2020. Please read it if you wish. I've made a point that criticizes the USA President and his work, to put it bluntly. To be more succinct I hope that my quest for refinement takes the opposite approach to him. I mean that in many ways. However, I will not dedicate a great deal to him or anyone else for that matter. I'm dedicating myself and my work to what I have found to be beneficial, healthy and targeted toward my goal. and if I can come back to this from time to time I should have something to say, right here and right now.
The look on my face is determination










To read is to learn from the experiences of others. For example, if Hitler had read and learned from Napoleon's experience waring with Russia in winter he would have faired better. Thanks to his narcissistic views the world was partially saved from one more conquest condemning half the world to Nazi rule.
The USA General Mattis has written this: “We have been fighting on this planet for 5,000 years and we should take advantage of their experience. ‘Winging it’ and filling body bags as we sort out what works reminds us of the moral dictates and the cost of incompetence in our profession.”
Whatever country you are fighting a war in, someone has already fought there before. Someone has also explored it, mapped it, studied it, and done humanitarian work there. The hard work has already been done. All you have to do is read. One would think that would be so easy and worthwhile wouldn't one?
I met Tom Needham while working out at the YMCA in 2002 and we started a conversation wherein I asked if he had seen an article in the newspaper to which he said, "I never read the newspaper because its all happened in history so I read history books." You see, Tom would never have attacked Russia in the middle of winter with foot soldiers and armoured tanks; would he?
Reading for refinement purposes is also a fact of life.
Books have a limitless amount to teach us if we’re willing to pay attention. 
We can also learn that there is tacit value in paying attention to how you approach different writers' styles. No one approach works all of the time. Short stories require the ability to pick up on clues as to what isn’t included. Poetry is more illuminating if memorized. The way we experience novels has a lot to do with who we are and our perception of its popularity. Plays teach us how much more there is going on beneath the surface of what we see. To that point we need to ask ourselves as readers, “Do the principal characters change and, if they do, what causes them to change?” A thought that would improve one's own writing skills I think.
Our world is full to brimming with History and books written by historians. If all of these were placed side by side how many miles, if not thousands of miles would these chronicles make on the roads of our past lives? Needless to say a reader of History will never suffer from a lack of reading material.
Here's a question when faced with a troubling issue requiring action or a point of view. What writer or book has explored it, mapped it and studied it in our history? And if you were afforded enough time to research material that helped one to formulate a response, would that work to help your task? I think it would. I also think that if you had previously studied the work and habits of characters in history who had made their choices based on similar criteria, that your response would have the benefit of history's experience along side your own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regent Splendor cruise Oct 16 to Nov 7, 2023

Shawinigan February 22 - 25, 2020

Rory McIlroy's Golf Swing In Slow Motion | 2024 Edition