A Paraprosdokian, April 5, 2020

At the Tradition Brampton Golf Club 2018
"We never really grow up - we only learn how to act in public."

This is a 2018 photo of Terryl and me. We met on October 28, 1998 and drove to Bert and Ernies, a bar in the west end of Toronto. The introduction was made by Florence Pappain a mutual friend from Brampton Golf Club in my case and Air Canada in Terryl's place. That first meeting was very pleasant and a small spark must have ignited because you can see by the caption that twenty years have gone by just like that.
This photo was taken before the outdoor meal was served after a suitable time following the on-course event for men only. The order of finish is not relevant; suffice it to say that it was a sunny glorious day on the golf course and a good time was had by all.

What's this Paraprosdokian? Paraprosdokians are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected and is frequently humorous. (Winston Churchill loved them.) Here's a few:

 1.  Where there's a will, I want to be in it.
 2.  The last thing I want to do is hurt you ... but it's still on my list.
 3.  Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
 4.  If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
 5.  We never really grow up -- we only learn how to act in public.
 6.  War does not determine who is right, only who is left.
 7.  Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
 8.  To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
 9.  I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
 10. In filling out an application, where it says, "In case emergency, notify..." I answered "a doctor."
 11. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head, a beer belly and still think they are sexy. 
 12. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
 13. I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
 14. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
 15. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian, any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
 16. You're never too old to learn something stupid.
 17. I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

I've typed my favourites in bold face. Which ones do you like?

On April 7, 2020 Greg McDonald (my oldest son) posted his Food Not Rocket Science Blog on Facebook. The Blog was started in 2005 by Greg and his buddy David Hogg. They met in high school and have remained the best of friends ever since. Their Blog contains Recipes and Projects that they have created. Please visit their site by clicking this link: Food Not Rocket Science.
I think you'll like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regent Splendor cruise Oct 16 to Nov 7, 2023

Shawinigan February 22 - 25, 2020

Rory McIlroy's Golf Swing In Slow Motion | 2024 Edition