Shall we save something for ourselves? April 23, 2020

Who carries the load
""Save something for yourself. In this age of social media, we tend to put everything out in the world to be judged, liked, and/or commented on by friends and strangers alike. If you want to stay sane, you’ve got to save a bit of yourself for yourself. There should be a part of your life and soul that are reserved just for you. Be your own safe haven. Other people aren’t entitled to every ounce of who you are. If you don’t keep a bit of you for you, you’ll find yourself burnt out at some point.""
The above paragraph was plucked from another writer's article and placed here because its statement has caused me to think. And because thinking is a good thing, sometimes additional thought will change one's mind, soften or harden it so much so that your past interpretations could be seen as flawed. With that having been said, let's allow this thread to spread.
I selected this photograph of this painting for the vibrant colours as well as the scenery which I think is magnificent: well dressed ladies going about their daily work moving from place to place toting their baskets filled to the brim. I have thousands of photographs in my iPhone 8. There is something special about each one. This one came from Zanzibar, Tanzania in the winter of 2020 when Terryl and I happened upon a gallery of art and artifacts in an outdoor park-like setting where dozens of artists displayed their craft. These men and women where of all ages and their work today was not to paint but to sell their paintings et al. We were two of maybe twenty lookers at this wonderful collection of work depicting their every day lives. We spent about an hour in their cramped quarters examining the art and talking with the artists -- taking these photographs -- and generally enjoying our time with these lovely people. This art is their livelyhood, and I think they enjoyed the barter just a little.
But coming back to the point my heading is making I think I'll write about the things I think, say and do and keep some of it to myself. That statement reminds me of Grant McDiarmaid, a wonderful client and friend from my printing days, who said after seeing my original website that he really didn't want to know that much about me. Of course I laughed and the two of us went on about our business. I am a believer in telling the truth, but not at all costs. The truth is something that can be shared unless the speaking of it will shatter someone's world. I can think of several examples of that, but I'm not about to post it, because an unknown future reader of this text may stumble over this  rock of discontent and destroy that which they have accepted and lived with for years. One might say that discussing the subject of this truth might not be in their best interest. Removing this veil of dishonesty will usher in the unforgivable truth and ruin the sunshine of contentment forever for some. You will get the truth from me as long as I know that the truth will help all of us to live better in the real world. Sometimes a truth may not be spoken if it needlessly hurts another, and the key word is needlessly. Moreover, an untruth is better left unsaid in almost all cases. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regent Splendor cruise Oct 16 to Nov 7, 2023

Shawinigan February 22 - 25, 2020

Rory McIlroy's Golf Swing In Slow Motion | 2024 Edition