My sister Joan, April 23, 2021

 



One of my favourite pictures of Joan has been circulating to family and friends. Joan would have been in her 50's with that gorgeous silvery grey hairdo and her ever-ready smile. I'm seeing her steady, consistent warmth and friendship she delivered almost totally with her eyes. I'm thinking of family gatherings at my place, her place and many other places where the sun seemed to shine just a little brighter when she and Garnet arrived. Joan passed away today at 77 years of age. The suffering she had endured is no more. She is with Mom, Dad, Richard and Archie now. Marilyn and I will hold the fort as long as we can.

Speaking of the fort and our parents, after having three boys in twenty-eight months my oldest of two sisters was born two years after me, then followed by the youngest girl (and last girl) two years after the first. Our family was complete: three boys, two girls, two parents and the odd dog or cat from time to time would fill out the roster. There was so much room in the house on Curzon that my Mother's sister who was married to my Father's brother agreed to move in (that is before they had their kids). As luck would have it in the next six years they too had a boy and then a girl followed by two boys. Diapers filled the clothes line in the back yard for seven or eight years. Not only that, the bedrooms rocked with pillow fights and stories between the nine of us long after lights out. That same nine loved our lives in the one house with one bathroom for years until Mom's sister, Dad's brother and our four best friends moved to Marigold. That was so long ago.

It was my Dad's saying as he left for work or the Duke, "Who's the oldest here, hold the fort." Another one was choosing a nickname. When Joan was very young I remember he called to her and said, "Putt, come over here and sit beside me." When she was comfortable he whispered in her ear: "You know you've always been my favourite."

Joan's smile never changed circa 1961

Garnet, Joan, Deborah, Garrett, Gerald circa 1980




 

Comments

  1. Of course you made me cry with the beauty of this wonderful story, of a wonderful family, Mr. McPope! Love to all of you. 🥰 Sincerely, Elaine xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you made me cry with the beauty of this wonderful story, of a wonderful family, Mr. McPope! Love to all of you. 🥰 Sincerely, Elaine xox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Regent Splendor cruise Oct 16 to Nov 7, 2023

Shawinigan February 22 - 25, 2020

Rory McIlroy's Golf Swing In Slow Motion | 2024 Edition